This 1963 arrest video proves Bernie Sanders’ civil rights bona fidesBreaking News
tags: election 2016, Bernie Sanders
HNN Editor 2-20-16 The Sanders campaign has now confirmed that the protester in the video is Bernie Sanders.
A decades-old video has emerged showing Chicago cops arresting a young protester — who bears a striking resemblance to young Bernie Sanders — at a 1963 anti-segregation demonstration in Chicago.
The grainy footage could jump-start Sanders’ effort to attract African-American voters ahead of the Feb. 27 primary in South Carolina, where more than half of registered Democrats are black.
Backers of Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton have questioned Sanders’ history with the civil rights movement.
comments powered by Disqus
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”
- It’s Been 3 Decades Since There Were So Few Jobs for History Ph.D.s
- Former Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks returns to campus as a member of the history department
- Conservatives attack Garry Wills’s book on the Quran
- The Scholars Behind the Quest for Reparations