Bernie Sanders had 'no intention of becoming a Democrat'Breaking News
tags: election 2016, Bernie Sanders
Bernie Sanders who is running neck and neck with Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination explicitly ruled out ever joining the party, documents show.
Mr Sanders outright refusal to consider becoming a Democrat emerged in the archive of his papers at the University of Vermont in Burlington, the town he served as Mayor from 1981-89.
The independent socialist Senator for Vermont made his feelings clear in a letter written in July 1988 - during his first, unsuccessful congressional run - to Derek Shearer, an academic at Occidental College, Los Angeles, who also served as US ambassador to Finland.
comments powered by Disqus
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Long Lost Nordic Village Mysteriously Abandoned in the Middle Ages Rediscovered
- Holocaust Memorial Rebuilt Outside Far-Right Politician's House By German Activists
- Ratko Mladic Is Convicted in 1990s Slaughter of Bosnian Muslims
- Most Everything You Learned About Thanksgiving Is Wrong
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race