South Carolina Trump Supporters Say They’ll Never Forgive Nikki Haley For Removing Confederate FlagBreaking News
tags: election 2016, Confederacy, Trump
South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) announced Wednesday that she is endorsing Marco Rubio for president, potentially giving the Florida senator a much needed bump in the state ahead of Saturday’s primary.
But Donald Trump supporters in South Carolina’s lowcountry aren’t bothered that the real estate mogul lost the governor and rising GOP star’s endorsement. Voters at Trump rallies on Wednesday told ThinkProgress that Haley lost their support when she made the decision last summer to remove the Confederate flag from the state capitol, where it had flown for 54 years. And they said they will never forgive her.
“That’s history,” said Tammi Lawton, who attended Trump’s rally in Walterboro with four friends. “No matter which way you look at it, that is history. That’s Southern history, and she’s a stupid idiot.”
comments powered by Disqus
- Southern states band together to create first unified Civil Rights Trail
- Secret memo shows bipartisanship during Watergate succession crisis
- 20 years since America’s shock over Clinton-Lewinsky affair, public discussions on sexual harassment are changing
- The Trump Presidency: Year One
- From presidential nominee to freshman senator? Romney would make history if he runs.
- Steve Bannon says historian Walter Russell Mead was the inspiration for hanging Jackson’s portrait in the Oval Office
- A historian is helping students register to vote
- Pension report shows that a historian continues to be the highest paid pensioner in New York State education system
- Ibram X. Kendi’s NYT op ed drew a strong response
- Andrew Roberts says Trump might even win a second term