Reagan Historian Craig Shirley Thinks Trump, or Cruz Could Beat HillaryHistorians in the News
tags: election 2016, Ted Cruz, Trump
Ronald Reagan biographer Craig Shirley referenced a recent interview, saying that Donald Trump may be ushering in a new form of conservatism as a guest today on Breitbart News Daily with Stephen K. Bannon.
Shirley adds that Trump is “kind of evolving on the road and that’s interesting to see as an historian. He hasn’t fully fleshed out his Republicanism, or his Conservatism. So, it remains to be seen what final permutation it’s going to take.”
Shirley said that he thinks Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) could likely reassemble the old so-called Reagan coalition to beat Hillary, while adding that Trump’s “developing” conservatism, which he termed “Trumpism” could likely also beat her and perhaps even more handily.
Shirley said Trump is not in the mold of a traditional populist Federalist type of Conservative. “He doesn’t talk about the individual as much as Reagan did, or say Ted Cruz does. But he does talk about things that are very interesting in terms of the 21st century.” In that sense, Shirley seemed to be suggesting it could be time for a “new” conservatism in line with where Trump appears to be heading. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Sources: McMaster Mocked Trump’s Intelligence at a Private Dinner
- The JFK assassination files lead back to Seattle
- Princeton investigates its connection to slavery at a two-day symposium
- Rare Documents Show a Palm Reader's Take on Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt
- A Photo of Billy the Kid Bought for $10 at a Flea Market May Be Worth Millions
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race
- Heather Ann Thompson says what went on at Attica is worse than we thought
- Princeton’s Jan T. Gross warns that Poland’s showing signs of turning decisively in a fascist direction
- Gar Alperovitz is still pushing to make America more democratic
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”