England Weighs Its Own Anthem to Rival ‘God Save the Queen’Breaking News
tags: England, God Save the Queen
For two centuries the national anthem here has been a somber plea for the monarch’s longevity, and “God Save the Queen” is routinely sung as England’s sports teams line up for international matches.
But now the anthem, and not just the sovereign, may be in need of saving.
On Wednesday, lawmakers agreed to debate in March a bill that, while not scrapping “God Save the Queen,” would create another anthem to be played before England’s teams take on foreign rivals.
comments powered by Disqus
- What is a caliph? The Islamic State tries to boost its legitimacy by hijacking a historic institution
- Russian Historian Professor, Found With Bag of Severed Arms, Admits He Killed Student
- Navy Submarine, Missing for 75 Years, Is Found Off Okinawa
- The Battle Between NBC and CBS To Be the First To Film a Berlin Wall Tunnel Escape
- Battlefields around the world are finding new purpose as parks and refuges