A third-term Democrat? Hillary Clinton battles historyBreaking News
tags: Hillary Clinton, election 2016, Obama
Hillary Clinton likes to tell voters what she’s not doing: running for President Obama’s third term.
That’s to downplay what she is doing: asking voters to pick a Democrat to occupy the Oval Office for 12 consecutive years.
Americans have agreed to do that just once in the past 179 years, and those unprecedented reelections of Franklin D. Roosevelt, the last as World War II neared its end, helped spark a constitutional amendment on term limits. The last nominee to win a third consecutive term for their party was Republican George H.W. Bush in 1988.
comments powered by Disqus
- In America, there was a time when even 'Thanksgiving' was a fightin' word
- Was Walt Whitman 'gay'?
- Victims of Canada’s ‘Gay Purge’ to Get Apology from Trudeau
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Long Lost Nordic Village Mysteriously Abandoned in the Middle Ages Rediscovered
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race