ISIS is issuing an official license to lootBreaking News
tags: ISIS, ISIL, Ancient Artifacts
Daesh (ISIS) is issuing an official license to loot, and by doing so, creating a steady stream of income in areas under its control.
Nearly two months ago, the US State Deparment released formerly classified documents that proved Daesh is systematically profiting off of looted antiquities. Documents showed the militant group — now controlling swaths of territory in Iraq and Syria — created an antiquities department to provide residents with looting licenses.
In exchange, Daesh gets a nice chunk of the excavators' profits as "tax." The US says that's generally about a 30 percent cut to the militants, though another report says a man was charged as much as 60 percent.
comments powered by Disqus
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Nazis in America: Richard Spencer's Visit to Florida Targets Jewish and Hispanic Students, Professors Say
- Documents: U.S. Embassy Tracked Indonesia Mass Murder 1965
- Tufts Project Maps The Landmarks Of Black Boston
- Asp – or ash? Climate historians link Cleopatra's demise to volcanic eruption
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea
- Bill Moyers interviews James Whitman about his shocking book
- Cornelia Bailey, Champion of African-Rooted Culture in Coastal Georgia, Dies at 72
- Sexism in the history department at West Point alleged
- A Conversation About American Racism with Ibram X. Kendi