Terry Belanger: U.Va. professor receives MacArthur Foundation awardHistorians in the News
Belanger's MacArthur Fellowship is the first to be awarded to a University Professor since 2002. He plans to use the money to fund the University's Rare Book School, which he founded.
Belanger, a book historian, collector and preservationist, has been at the University since 1992. In 1983, Belanger founded the Rare Book School at Columbia University before shifting the program to the University in 1992.
The Rare Book School, which focuses on the history of written and electronic text, attracts a variety of historians, librarians, collectors and others each year, according to the MacArthur Foundation.
"He has opened up the book as an art form," University President John T. Casteen, III said. "At the same time, he has led a generation of learners to appreciate and understand the rare book, the unique book, the artistically produced book as an artifact of that aspect of popular culture that best charts the progress of human learning."
In addition to his work with the Rare Book School, Belanger also is an undergraduate professor, teaching both history and engineering courses in the fall.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges