Stephen J. DaviesHNN
Davies graduated in 1976 from St Andrews University with a degree in Medieval and Modern History. He gained his doctorate from the same institution in 1984 on the topic of the Scottish criminal justice system before the abolition of private courts (heritable jurisdictions) in 1747. His publications include several articles (including two in the recently published The Voluntary City), The Dictionary of Conservative and Libertarian Thought (with Nigel Ashford) and Empiricism and History.
Since 1979 he has taught at the Manchester Metropolitan University, in Manchester, UK. His teaching and research interests include the history of ideas, historical criminology, the history of the devil, and the private supply of"public" goods. He is not a supporter of Manchester United!
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)