Stephen J. DaviesHNN
Davies graduated in 1976 from St Andrews University with a degree in Medieval and Modern History. He gained his doctorate from the same institution in 1984 on the topic of the Scottish criminal justice system before the abolition of private courts (heritable jurisdictions) in 1747. His publications include several articles (including two in the recently published The Voluntary City), The Dictionary of Conservative and Libertarian Thought (with Nigel Ashford) and Empiricism and History.
Since 1979 he has taught at the Manchester Metropolitan University, in Manchester, UK. His teaching and research interests include the history of ideas, historical criminology, the history of the devil, and the private supply of"public" goods. He is not a supporter of Manchester United!
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history