Stephen J. DaviesHNN
Davies graduated in 1976 from St Andrews University with a degree in Medieval and Modern History. He gained his doctorate from the same institution in 1984 on the topic of the Scottish criminal justice system before the abolition of private courts (heritable jurisdictions) in 1747. His publications include several articles (including two in the recently published The Voluntary City), The Dictionary of Conservative and Libertarian Thought (with Nigel Ashford) and Empiricism and History.
Since 1979 he has taught at the Manchester Metropolitan University, in Manchester, UK. His teaching and research interests include the history of ideas, historical criminology, the history of the devil, and the private supply of"public" goods. He is not a supporter of Manchester United!
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea