Walking Tours of the Bronx Grand ConcourseBreaking News
"It is gorgeous," said Lloyd Ultan, the Bronx borough historian. "The elegance still comes through. All it needs is a little spruceup."
The thoroughfare, completed in 1909, is home to the largest collection of Art Deco residences in the world and, for many decades, was the Bronx equivalent of Park Ave.
In the 1970s and 1980s - the Bronx's rough years - the Concourse fell on hard times. The wide, landscaped medians were narrowed, exit signs were added and the street was transformed into a pedestrian-unfriendly highway.
In the last decade, community leaders and politicians have taken steps to return some of the Concourse's lost grandeur.
At the opening reception on Wednesday, Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion will outline an $18 million restoration project to improve the lighting and widen the median on the Concourse between 161st and 171st Sts.
The event, which is free, begins at 6:00 p.m. at the museum, 1040 Grand Concourse, at 165th St.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum