How 4/20 Became 4/20Roundup
How did 4/20 become 4/20? It has nothing to do with police codes, Bob Marley’s death, or Hitler’s birthday. It’s not teatime in Holland, related to California’s penal code, or the number of chemical compounds in marijuana. It does have something to do with the Grateful Dead, but not in the way you’ve probably heard.
Take a trip in the video above to San Rafael, California, in the fall of 1971, for the actual story, which is much better than any of the myths.
Update, April 21, 2015: This video has been updated to reflect the local pronunciation of San Rafael, Marin County, and Point Reyes.
comments powered by Disqus
- In America, there was a time when even 'Thanksgiving' was a fightin' word
- Was Walt Whitman 'gay'?
- Victims of Canada’s ‘Gay Purge’ to Get Apology from Trudeau
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Long Lost Nordic Village Mysteriously Abandoned in the Middle Ages Rediscovered
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race