How are historians faring around the world?Historians in the News
This is the 20th Annual Report of the NCH. It contains 117 pages of news about the domain where history and human rights intersect, especially about the censorship of history and the persecution of historians, archivists, and archaeologists around the globe, as reported by various human rights organizations and other sources. It mainly covers events and developments of 2013 and 2014. This circular is sent to 1535 historians and others interested in the past all over the world.
Lamentably, four historians were assassinated in the past year: Jirí Fiedler (Czech Republic), Bashar Awad Marouf (Iraq), Samuel Malpica Uribe (Mexico), and Bohdan Solchanyk (Ukraine). May they rest in peace. In contrast, some light was thrown upon the fate of one history student and three historians, all assassinated in the 1970s: history student Laura Estela Carlotto (Argentina), and Ghyasuddin Ahmed, Santosh Chandra Bhattacharya, and Abul Khair (all in Bangladesh). For more information on these and many other developments, please see the respective country entries.
The following 77 countries are covered in the Report:
Afghanistan; Algeria; Argentina; Armenia; Australia; Bangladesh; Belarus; Belize; Bolivia; Bosnia and Herzegovina; Brazil; Bulgaria; Burundi; Cambodia; Cameroon; Canada; Central African Republic; Chile; China; Colombia; Congo (Democratic Republic); Czech Republic; Ecuador; Egypt; El Salvador; France; Georgia; Greece; Guatemala; Guinea; Haiti; Honduras; Hungary; India; Iran; Iraq; Israel; Ivory Coast; Japan; Kenya; Korea (North); Lebanon; Liberia; Libya; Macedonia; Mali; Mexico; Myanmar; Nepal; Netherlands; Pakistan; Palestinian Authority; Peru; Philippines; Poland; Russia; Rwanda; Saint Vincent; Serbia/Kosovo; Slovakia; Somalia; South Africa; Spain; Sri Lanka; Sudan; Switzerland; Syria; Thailand; Tunisia; Turkey; Ukraine; United Kingdom; United States of America; Uzbekistan; Venezuela; Yemen; Zimbabwe.
Previous NCH Annual Reports, covering the years 1995 to 2013, can be consulted on the NCH website. All NCH Annual Reports were compiled by Antoon De Baets. The fact that NCH presents this news does not imply that it shares the views and beliefs of the historians and others mentioned in it.
comments powered by Disqus
- 10 questions and answers about America’s “Big Government”
- Lithuanian nationalists celebrate Holocaust-era quisling, Pepe the Frog near execution site
- Lincoln, Washington and Roosevelts remain history’s best presidents in survey
- Winston Churchill essay on 'aliens' found: 'British Bulldog' had a philosophical streak
- Doppelgänger ethics: Why Austria arrested a Hitler double
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans
- Published Historian Of Spain Indicted By A Federal Grand Jury For Possession Of Child Pornography
- Stephen F. Cohen continuing his lonely campaign to stop the media from "Kremlin-Baiting President Trump”
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2017 $50,000 George Washington Prize