Increasing Number of Americans Think Watergate Was 'Just Politics'Breaking News
tags: Watergate, Nixon, Tapes
On the 40th anniversary of Richard Nixon's resignation, only a narrow majority of Americans still think Watergate was a very serious matter and nearly half think the scandal was "just politics."
According to a new national poll by CNN/ORC International, just 51 percent of Americans consider the events of Watergate and Nixon's resignation to be a "serious matter," while 46 percent consider it to be "just politics" when pollsters asked the following question: "Now thinking for a moment about the Watergate affair during President Richard Nixon's administration. It has now been 40 years since Nixon resigned as president. Which of these two statements comes closest to your own point of view about Watergate — it was a very serious matter because it revealed corruption in the Nixon administration or it was just politics — the kind of thing that both parties engage in?"
comments powered by Disqus
- How will Trump’s inaugural address compare with others?
- UK Government's 'Monstrous' Stonehenge Tunnel Plan Green-Lit
- Anti-Defamation League Condemns Donald Trump’s ‘Nazi Germany’ Tweet
- President Obama Designates First National Monument Dedicated to Reconstruction
- Jared Kushner Wouldn't Be the First Powerful Son-in-Law in Presidential History
- Tim Naftali calls on Obama to declassify US intelligence community's assessment of Russian intentions and activities in the 2016 presidential election
- David Olusoga says Britain’s black history has been shamefully whitewashed
- Conflicting Signals in the Academic Job Market for History
- Max Boot says a 9-11 style commission should investigate Trump-Russian ties
- Why Did Japan Treat Jews Differently During World War II?