Mobile Apps Bring History AliveBreaking News
tags: Mobile Apps
All the whiz-bang technology in today’s smartphones and tablets can sometimes make you feel as if you’re living in the future. But those same devices can also give you a window to the past.
The Ken Burns app, created by the documentary filmmaker, is a great place to start. Made for the iPad, it has clips from Mr. Burns’s films that cover important moments in American history from 1619 through 2013, and are sorted into generalized categories like Innovation, Art and Race.
The main interface can show the clip list as a timeline or by category. Tapping on a film’s entry shows you a text summary of the film and its length. When you are ready to watch, press play to have Mr. Burns transport you back in time.
comments powered by Disqus
- Pittsburgh native David McCullough's next book will focus on generations of Northwest pioneers
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton