Mobile Apps Bring History Alivetags: Mobile Apps
All the whiz-bang technology in today’s smartphones and tablets can sometimes make you feel as if you’re living in the future. But those same devices can also give you a window to the past.
The Ken Burns app, created by the documentary filmmaker, is a great place to start. Made for the iPad, it has clips from Mr. Burns’s films that cover important moments in American history from 1619 through 2013, and are sorted into generalized categories like Innovation, Art and Race.
The main interface can show the clip list as a timeline or by category. Tapping on a film’s entry shows you a text summary of the film and its length. When you are ready to watch, press play to have Mr. Burns transport you back in time.
comments powered by Disqus
- 93-year-old former Auschwitz guard charged
- Martin Amis’s ‘Zone of Interest’ Makes European Publishers Squirm
- Urban Outfitters Features "Vintage" Red-Stained Kent State Sweatshirt
- Americans know surprisingly little about their government, survey finds
- Do You Have Snippets of the Star-Spangled Banner?