Mobile Apps Bring History Alivetags: Mobile Apps
All the whiz-bang technology in today’s smartphones and tablets can sometimes make you feel as if you’re living in the future. But those same devices can also give you a window to the past.
The Ken Burns app, created by the documentary filmmaker, is a great place to start. Made for the iPad, it has clips from Mr. Burns’s films that cover important moments in American history from 1619 through 2013, and are sorted into generalized categories like Innovation, Art and Race.
The main interface can show the clip list as a timeline or by category. Tapping on a film’s entry shows you a text summary of the film and its length. When you are ready to watch, press play to have Mr. Burns transport you back in time.
comments powered by Disqus
- South Dakota drops history as a high school requirement
- The Forgotten History Of 'Violent Displacement' That Helped Create The National Parks
- Gospel of Jesus’ Wife May Be Authentic, New Tests Suggest
- Architect Sought for Obama’s Presidential Library Complex
- 2016 election's leading candidates have strong Jewish family ties
- Ron Radosh plans to defend Warren Harding in a new book
- Historians tackle America’s mass incarceration problem
- Report: Russian studies in crisis
- Medievalist calls on historians to welcome pop culture