New film chronicling Swiss gay magazine that survived the NazisBreaking News
tags: Nazis, gay, Swiss
The Circle (Der Kreis) is about Swiss gay mag Der Kreis, and the two lovers who met through the organization and have been together ever since.
The Circle was and underground, internationally circulated gay magazine founded in 1932 under the name Swiss Friendship Banner. It was the only European gay publication to outlast the Nazis.
The film follows a young teacher Ernst Ostertag (Matthias Hungerbulher) and transvestite performer Robi Rapp (Sven Schelker) who fall in love at one of the glamorous costume balls hosted by the publication. As their relationship develops Ernst struggles as a closeted gay man caught between his middleclass German life and the life of activism he has entered through his involvement with The Circle.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity