Historians Call for Congress to Block US Military Intervention in IraqHistorians in the News
tags: Congress, Iraq
Historians Against the War came into existence, as the United States was edging towards an unnecessary, illegal war against Iraq. The subsequent invasion and occupation produced even more disastrous consequences than many of us had anticipated. With that country now fragmenting and its brutal government paralyzed, there are renewed calls for American military intervention.
While we strongly support diplomatic initiatives to resolve this crisis, we believe that American military action will only compound the suffering on the ground and add to the instability of Iraq.
Yesterday 103 members of Congress, led by Representatives Barbara Lee and Scott Rigell signed a letter to the President discouraging military intervention and insisting that Congressional authorization was required before any use of force in Iraq. Thanks to those on this list, who contributed to this effort.
This has created momentum for an important new legislative initiative. Reps. Jim McGovern (D-MA). Walter Jones (R-NC) and Barbara Lee (D-CA) have just introduced House Concurrent Resolution # 105, a privileged resolution under the War Powers Resolution that will force a debate and vote on U.S. military intervention in Iraq. It will come up for a debate and vote within fifteen days of the date in which it was filed.
To be effective, many co-sponsors are needed. Although you may have done this more times than you can count, please get on the phone and ask your member of Congress to co-sponsor House Concurrent Resolution 105.
Congressional Switchboard: 202 0224- 3121.
For complete text of the resolution: https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-concurrent-resolution/105/textFor Congressman McGovern's speech introducing the bill:http://mcgovern.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/rep-jim-mcgovern-introduces-a-privileged-resolution-on-iraq
comments powered by Disqus
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Trump Recording Narrows Divide on Sexual Assault
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller