"The Star Spangled Banner" brings crowds to their feet, 200 years laterBreaking News
President Obama has proclaimed "National Flag Week" in honor of "the banner that weaves us together."
The flag that withstood the British bombardment at Fort McHenry in the War of 1812 still draws an audience at the Smithsonian, says curator Jennifer Jones.
"We have really looked at it as an iconic object of America," said Jones.
While the flag may be showing its age with eight feet worn away and one of its stars missing, the song it inspired has never been in better shape. Francis Scott Key wrote "The Star Spangled Banner" 200 years ago this year.
comments powered by Disqus
- Supporters Rally Around Accused Russian Historian Of Stalin's Crimes
- Mormon history scholars file court brief over Trump travel ban
- Accused plagiarist Matthew Whitaker wins arbitration case against City of Phoenix over police contract
- Niall Ferguson says the liberal international order has passed its peak
- Nathaniel Philbrick wins the $50,000 2017 George Washington Prize