History professor receives Belgium’s highest honorHistorians in the News
tags: Sophie De Schaepdrijver, Order of the Crown
Sophie De Schaepdrijver, associate professor of history at Penn State, has received the honorific title of the Commander in the Order of the Crown by King Philippe of Belgium. A scholar who specializes in the history of World War I and Europe, De Schaepdrijver was recognized for her contributions to a greater understanding of World War I.
The Order of the Crown is awarded for meritorious service in public employment; distinguished artistic, literary or scientific achievements; or business and industrial services.
A native of Belgium, De Schaepdrijver is a social and cultural historian of Western Europe during the 19th and 20th centuries, with an interest in civilian experiences of war and nationalism. She has just finished a book on the Belgian war experience, with issues of resistance, profiteering and collaboration, as well as the long-term memory of military occupation. She has written and presented a four-part documentary on the First World War, which will air in August ("Brave Little Belgium," VRT-Canvas television) and curates a major historical exhibition on the city of Bruges during the war.
De Schaepdrijver was a resident fellow of the Institute for the Arts and Humanities at Penn State. She was awarded fellowships by the National Humanities Center and the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies to enhance her research.
comments powered by Disqus
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy