125th anniversary of the Johnstown Flood -- The Greatest disaster in Pennsylvania historyBreaking News
tags: Johnstown Flood
...Generations would pass before terms such as 1-percenter, superstorm and climate change entered the national vocabulary -- and the term "underwater" would itself enter the lexicon of mortgage finance.
But 125 years after the great Johnstown Flood of 1889, Pennsylvania's deadliest disaster continues to resonate in fields as diverse as ethics, water physics, legal theory, the growing economic divide and the increasingly fraught relationship between humans and their natural environment.
The disaster followed the catastrophic failure of the poorly maintained South Fork Dam at Lake Conemaugh, the exclusive resort of Pittsburgh's industrial elite -- including families whose names still adorn the Steel City's landmarks and skylines, such as Carnegie, Frick, Mellon, Phipps and Reed.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity