BBC made a meal of Jane Austen errorsBreaking News
tags: Jane Austen
Period dramas get their costumes right but frequently get eating and etiquette wrong, according to a food historian.
Death Comes To Pemberley, the Pride and Prejudice sequel written by PD James and shown at Christmas on the BBC, was a particular offender.
Pen Vogler, author of Dinner With Mr Darcy, said: "You wouldn't make a documentary or film in Italy and not try to make it look Italian.
"So in the same way, if you do something set in 1806 or 1816 you should try and make it look as much so as you can, and not just the costumes.
"Etiquette is one of the things people got wrong on telly. Death Comes To Pemberley got the etiquette completely wrong.
"Men and women going out of the dining room arm in arm – that might have happened in Victorian times but not in Georgian times, when the ladies would proceed by rank and then the gentlemen would follow in the same hierarchy.
"And in Death Comes To Pemberley they finished dinner at 9pm. In those times, and in that kind of house, they would have eaten no later than 6pm and they wouldn't have spent three hours having dinner.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity