5-22-14 (date accessed)
Historians and Activists Appeal for Expert involvement in the Creation of a National Women’s History MuseumHistorians in the News
tags: womens history
There is a growing consensus that professional historians and experienced museum professionals are needed for the establishment of high quality National Women’s History Museum. Historians and activists weigh in on the legislative efforts.
Louise Knight and Sonya Michel write that if professional historians and/or museum professionals are not part of the process of creating the museum: “This means that the half of the population whose history is to be presented in the museum may end up having no voice in its creation, and the project may lose the benefit of having input from the many historians and museum professionals with expertise in the field of women’s history.” See Proposed Amendments to S. 398 and appeals by Gloria Steinem and A’Lelia Bundles for the Member of National Women’s History Museum [NWHM] Advisory Council NWHM Petition
For more information from “Historians and Friends for a National Women’s History Museum,” read about the American Historical Association (AHA)’s concerns related to the Commission to Study the Potential Creation of a National Women’s History Museum Act of 2013 (H.R. 863). AHA President Jan Goldstein and Executive Director Grossman write: “We strongly believe that any project to create a new national history museum should involve professional historians from the outset. Interpreting the past is vital to democratic debate and civic life, and scholars experienced in investigating and interpreting the past should be part of that process.” Read more: AHA-Letter
Read additional appeals for the official involvement of historians and museum professionals in the creation of a National Women’s History Museum from Professors Eileen Boris, Alice Kessler-Harris, Sonya Michel, Vicki Ruiz, Kathryn Kish Sklar, among others here: Letter
comments powered by Disqus
- Steve Bannon Vows ‘War’ on His Own Party. It Didn’t Work So Well for F.D.R.
- Tom Hanks: 'If you're concerned about what's going on today, read history'
- 9.7-million-year-old teeth discovery in Germany could re-write human history
- Charleston's International African American Museum's big plans
- What’s inside the secret JFK assassination files?
- Presidential historian Michael Beschloss explains the significance of yesterday’s Bush-Obama attack on Trump
- Russian minister keeps doctorate despite plagiarism claims
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian