Citing University’s Commitment to Free Speech, Faust Says ‘Abhorrent’ Black Mass Will Not Be BarredHistorians in the News
University President Drew G. Faust said in a statement earlier this morning that she affirms the right of the Harvard Extension School Cultural Studies Club to host a Satanic event involving a demonstration of “Black Mass” this evening, but strongly disagrees with the club’s decision to hold it.
Faust added herself to the long list of people condemning the event, including members from the Archdiocese of Boston, Harvard Chaplains, student religious groups, and many alumni and students on campus. The event is still slated to take place this evening at Cambridge Queen’s Head Pub in the basement of Memorial Hall at 8:30 p.m.
“The decision by a student club to sponsor an enactment of this ritual is abhorrent; it represents a fundamental affront to the values of inclusion, belonging and mutual respect that must define our community,” Faust wrote. “It is deeply regrettable that the organizers of this event, well aware of the offense they are causing so many others, have chosen to proceed with a form of expression that is so flagrantly disrespectful and inflammatory.”
Still, Faust wrote, allowing the event to proceed is “consistent with the University’s commitment to free expression, including expression that may deeply offend us, the decision to proceed is and will remain theirs.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport