GW Monument Reopens. The View ... Sensational!tags: Washington Monument
Nearly 670 feet of cracks are sealed, and loose stones are once again fixed in place at the 130-year-old Washington Monument, which defines the capital skyline. The panoramic views, from about 500 feet above the landscape, are back.
In a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by hundreds of people — including celebrities and politicians, tourists and schoolchildren — the National Park Service and the Trust for the National Mall reopened the Washington Monument on Monday. People gathered in the shadow of the monument and listened to a history lesson from a fourth-grade class from Aiton Elementary School in eastern Washington.
comments powered by Disqus
- Biographer of a Progressive reformer says it's odd reading stories about inequality in the news every day
- Dutch sociologist says that what is new about mass killing is that we’re embarrassed by it
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Convicted felon Conrad Black has a new book out
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830