GW Monument Reopens. The View ... Sensational!tags: Washington Monument
Nearly 670 feet of cracks are sealed, and loose stones are once again fixed in place at the 130-year-old Washington Monument, which defines the capital skyline. The panoramic views, from about 500 feet above the landscape, are back.
In a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by hundreds of people — including celebrities and politicians, tourists and schoolchildren — the National Park Service and the Trust for the National Mall reopened the Washington Monument on Monday. People gathered in the shadow of the monument and listened to a history lesson from a fourth-grade class from Aiton Elementary School in eastern Washington.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?
- AHA won't be considering petition to boycott Israel, unless it's introduced at the Business Meeting