OAH 2014: Get Ready!Historians in the News
tags: history, OAH
What Annual Meeting of the Organization of American Historians
Where Atlanta, Georgia
When Wednesday - Sunday
Twitter Hashtag #OAH2014
HNN at OAH
As always we will be providing daily newsletters to help you find out what's going on at the convention. In a departure from past practice, we will not be filming individual sessions. Instead, we'll be interviewing historians about their presentations. If you have a new take on history likely to be of interest to the readers of HNN, please let us know so we can arrange an interview with you. Send an email to: email@example.com.
Follow us on Twitter at: myHNN
Scoops Please let us know what's going on at the convention from your vantage point. If you see something, say something to us at HNN. Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us.
- If you're blogging about the convention--let us know.
- If you hear an incredible presentation--let us know.
- If you have a wonderful anecdote to share--let us know.
- If you have a story to tell about the challenge of finding a job as a historian--let us know.
We hope not to have to report on an historian being arrested, as happened in 2007 at the Atlanta meeting of the AHA, when the local police put an Oxford don in cuffs for jaywalking. But we'll gladly take other news.
Before You Arrive
Download the OAH 2014 App: This year the OAH has gone all out, building a fantastic mobile app for phones that allows attendees to easily track panels and find speakers.
In addition you can use the app to message other attendees and quickly send out social media messages on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
On Wednesday the OAH is featuring THATCamp. That what? Here's the short explanation:
THATCamp stands for “The Humanities and Technology Camp.” It is an unconference: an open, inexpensive meeting where humanists and technologists of all skill levels learn and build together in sessions proposed on the spot. An unconference is to a conference what a seminar is to a lecture, what a party at your house is to a church wedding, what a pick-up game of Ultimate Frisbee is to an NBA game, what a jam band is to a symphony orchestra: it’s more informal and more participatory.
For more information click here.
The main part of the convention starts Thursday. Click here for the program guide and other OAH links.
- Tom Paine performance by Ian Ruskin (Thursday, April 10 | 5:15 pm - 6:30 pm)
- Albany Civil Rights Institute Freedom Singers -- Founded by original SNCC Freedom Singer Rutha Harris (Friday, April 11 | 5:15 pm - 6:00 pm)
- Exhibit: The Tuskegee Airmen: The Segregated Skies of World War II
Plenary Sessions include:
- 1964 at 50: Remembering and Reassessing the Mississippi Summer Project (Thursday, April 10 - 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm )
- Historians and their Publics (Friday, April 11 - 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm )
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity