Historians Claim Holy Grail Sits In Spanish MuseumHistorians in the News
Two historians claim they've identified the holy grail that Jesus drank from at the last supper, according to AFP.
León University medieval history lecturer Margarita Torres and art historian José Manuel Ortega del Rio make the claim in their book "Kings of the Grail," published last week.
Crowds flocked to see the goblet of the Infanta Doña Urraca in the Basilica of San Isidoro in León, northern Spain once the historians' claim came to light.
The Australian explains the historians' case.
In 2011, two medieval Egyptian parchments were discovered that mentioned the chalice of Christ, saying it was taken from Jerusalem to Cairo. From there, records show that an emir in Muslim Spain received it as a reward for helping the Egyptians during a famine. Finally, it arrived in Christendom in the 11th century after being presented to King Fernando as a gift.
The researchers' investigation "led them to identify the upper part of [the Doña Urraca] goblet, made of agate and missing a fragment as described in the parchments, as the grail," according to the Guardian.
But — and this is a big but — the historians admit that the goblet's first 400 years of history are unknown, New York Post reports....
comments powered by Disqus
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy