comments powered by Disqus
Ten million pages of Baath Party documents now availableBreaking News
More than ten million digitized page images and fifteen hundred video files collected by the Iraq Memory Foundation (IMF) from the Ba'th Regional Command headquarters and other sources are housed in the Hoover Archives. This vast array of digital files illuminates political conditions in, and governance of, Iraq during Saddam Hussein's regime.
The materials are divided into two collections according to origin. The larger collection, which consists of documents created by the Regional Command of the Hiẓb al-Ba'th al-'Arabī al-Ishtirākī (Ba'th Party) and other administrative and security agencies during the Ba'th Party’s reign in Iraq, is accordingly titled the Hiẓb al-Ba'th al-'Arabī al-Ishtirākī records, 1968–2003. A smaller set of video files and printed matter was created by the IMF and other parties after the fall of the Ba'th Party and thus was assigned to a second collection, Iraq Memory Foundation issuances, 2003–2009.
The Hiẓb al-Ba'th al-'Arabī al-Ishtirākī records contain digitized copies of correspondence, reports, membership and personnel files, judicial and investigatory dossiers, administrative files, school registers, and video recordings. The Iraq Memory Foundation issuances are chiefly videoed oral histories of survivors of Ba'th Party repression and, from Iraqi television, videoed proceedings of Saddam Hussein's trial before the Supreme Iraqi Criminal Tribunal.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- DNA Offers Insights into European Hunter Gatherers
- Bernie Sanders Made Jewish History, Yet No One Seems To Be Kvelling
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- 'Comfort women' and a lesson in how history is shaped in California textbooks
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket