Neo-Confederate ties haunt South Carolina Lt. Gov.'s new college jobBreaking News
tags: South Carolina, reenactment, neo-Confederates, reenactors
On Saturday, the college's Board of Trustees announced that it had voted to offer the job to Glenn McConnell, the current Republican lieutenant governor of South Carolina.
Minutes after an email announcing the choice went out to the campus community, students at the college "viscerally reacted over social media voicing their disapproval," according to the student-run Cistern Yard News. A few hours later, a few dozen students gathered on campus to protest.
The Confederacy thing is no secret. McConnell is a longtime Civil War re-enactor. On the biography page he has up on his personal website, under "community involvement/clubs," McConnell lists the Sons of Confederate Veterans -- a national organization "devoted exclusively to commemorating and honoring Confederate soldiers." And for years, until it closed in 2009, McConnell and his brother ran a Charleston store that specialized in Confederate memorabilia....
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea