Neo-Confederate ties haunt South Carolina Lt. Gov.'s new college jobBreaking News
tags: South Carolina, reenactment, neo-Confederates, reenactors
On Saturday, the college's Board of Trustees announced that it had voted to offer the job to Glenn McConnell, the current Republican lieutenant governor of South Carolina.
Minutes after an email announcing the choice went out to the campus community, students at the college "viscerally reacted over social media voicing their disapproval," according to the student-run Cistern Yard News. A few hours later, a few dozen students gathered on campus to protest.
The Confederacy thing is no secret. McConnell is a longtime Civil War re-enactor. On the biography page he has up on his personal website, under "community involvement/clubs," McConnell lists the Sons of Confederate Veterans -- a national organization "devoted exclusively to commemorating and honoring Confederate soldiers." And for years, until it closed in 2009, McConnell and his brother ran a Charleston store that specialized in Confederate memorabilia....
comments powered by Disqus
- Karen L. Cox says historians shouldn’t be afraid to embrace YouTube to reach millennials
- You Know Your History? These Podcasts Aren’t So Sure.
- Victor Davis Hanson says Trump Must "Retire as Twitter Champ”
- The Daily Mail is highlighting claims by a Cambridge don that teachers are helping to foster resentment by presenting history as the struggle of minority groups
- Historians Are Calling Out Trump Online Whenever He Misreads the Past