Final Demolition Starts at Detroit Housing ProjectBreaking News
tags: Detroit, housing projects
The final phase of demolition began Monday for a well-known vacant Detroit housing project that once was home to boxer Joe Louis and members of the Supremes.
Crews started using heavy equipment to take down four 15-story towers that are part of the former Frederick Douglass Homes, better known as the Brewster projects.
Louis once lived at the project near downtown Detroit, as did members of the Supremes before the musical trio became vital voices of the Motown sound. Other demolition work began at the site last year.
The demolition is being paid for through $6.5 million in federal funds....
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea