Australian Politician Slams Australian Historian
Australia's leaders have slammed the Australian War Memorial's top historian, Peter Stanley, over his controversial claim that Japanese plans to invade Australia in 1942 were a "myth".
Prime Minister John Howard and Opposition Leader Kim Beazley rejected Dr Stanley's argument.
The historian angered veterans groups with his claim Australia perpetuates the myth through a "pathetic" desire to exaggerate the nation's role in the war.
comments powered by Disqus
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?