Venezuela faces ‘delicate and complex moment,’ says historianHistorians in the News
Venezuela’s political deadlock presents a “delicate and complex moment” for the country, Venezuelan historian and political scientist Margarita Lopez Maya told CNN’s Hala Gorani, sitting in for Christiane Amanpour, on Monday.
The country’s simmering protests could come to a full boil at any moment, with a dramatic showdown shaping up between embattled President Nicolas Maduro, the former bus driver and handpicked heir of Hugo Chavez, and opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez.
Three people were killed in violent clashes in Caracas last week; Maduro's government blames Lopez, ordering his arrest on charges of murder and terrorism.
Lopez asserts his innocence and dropped out of sight, until last night, when he Tweeted a video call to action, saying he will lead peaceful march on the ministry of justice on Tuesday....
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges