Online Exhibit Tracks Books Saved by the Real-Life Monuments MenBreaking News
tags: museums, digital history, Center for Jewish History
The role of the the Allied armies’ Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives section in saving thousands of European art masterpieces from Nazi plunder is getting a big Hollywood hurrah, thanks to the film “The Monuments Men.”
But the monuments men, a new interactive online exhibit points out, were also notable as book men.
The exhibit, created by the Center for Jewish History in New York and available on Flickr, is part of a continuing effort to trace the origins of the millions of volumes that the Nazis seized from libraries large and small as they marched through Europe. Some of those books remain in German libraries. But as many as three million ended up in the Allies’ Offenbach archival depot outside Frankfurt, Germany, where thousands of book stamps, bookplates and other marks providing clues to their provenance were cataloged in scrapbooks compiled by Col. Seymour Pomrenze, the American officer in charge....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges