S Korea and Japan clash over sea's name in Virginia textbookstags: Japan, Korea, textbooks, Virginia, nationalism, naming disputes
Virginia's house of delegates has passed a bill requiring all school textbooks to include the Korean name for the stretch of water.
In Japan it is known as the Sea of Japan and in South Korea as the East Sea.
The dispute over the sea's name stems from an argument between the two Asian countries about history.
The vote in Virginia was a hotly contested battle between Japan and South Korea, revealing the intensity with which these two neighbours argue over the recent past.
The Japanese government hired a lobby firm to help it....
comments powered by Disqus
- Biographer of a Progressive reformer says it's odd reading stories about inequality in the news every day
- Dutch sociologist says that what is new about mass killing is that we’re embarrassed by it
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Convicted felon Conrad Black has a new book out
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830