S Korea and Japan clash over sea's name in Virginia textbookstags: Japan, Korea, textbooks, Virginia, nationalism, naming disputes
Virginia's house of delegates has passed a bill requiring all school textbooks to include the Korean name for the stretch of water.
In Japan it is known as the Sea of Japan and in South Korea as the East Sea.
The dispute over the sea's name stems from an argument between the two Asian countries about history.
The vote in Virginia was a hotly contested battle between Japan and South Korea, revealing the intensity with which these two neighbours argue over the recent past.
The Japanese government hired a lobby firm to help it....
comments powered by Disqus
- Hero Marine Dad Will Unleash Hell Itself If Daughter’s World History Class Says Muslims Are Real
- Historians Against the War joins peace activists in pressing Congress to support a diplomatic solutions to conflict with Iran over nukes
- Despite new hires, Yale history department retains vacancies
- African-American Professor: Reagan Did More To Help Black Education Than Obama
- Turning West, Historians Take a Wider View of Early America