S Korea and Japan clash over sea's name in Virginia textbooksBreaking News
tags: Japan, Korea, textbooks, Virginia, nationalism, naming disputes
Virginia's house of delegates has passed a bill requiring all school textbooks to include the Korean name for the stretch of water.
In Japan it is known as the Sea of Japan and in South Korea as the East Sea.
The dispute over the sea's name stems from an argument between the two Asian countries about history.
The vote in Virginia was a hotly contested battle between Japan and South Korea, revealing the intensity with which these two neighbours argue over the recent past.
The Japanese government hired a lobby firm to help it....
comments powered by Disqus
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments