S Korea and Japan clash over sea's name in Virginia textbooksBreaking News
tags: Japan, Korea, textbooks, Virginia, nationalism, naming disputes
Virginia's house of delegates has passed a bill requiring all school textbooks to include the Korean name for the stretch of water.
In Japan it is known as the Sea of Japan and in South Korea as the East Sea.
The dispute over the sea's name stems from an argument between the two Asian countries about history.
The vote in Virginia was a hotly contested battle between Japan and South Korea, revealing the intensity with which these two neighbours argue over the recent past.
The Japanese government hired a lobby firm to help it....
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea