Anchor found off Whidbey Island may solve 200-year-old mysteryBreaking News
tags: shipwrecks, Washington State, Whidbey Island, Puget Sound
The fisherman was diving near Whidbey Island gathering sea cucumbers when his air hose snagged on a massive object jutting from the muck at the bottom of Puget Sound.
Doug Monk followed his hose back until he reached a barnacle-encrusted hunk of metal as tall as him. It was the massive arm of an old ship’s anchor.
Since stumbling upon the 9-foot-long anchor in January 2008, Monk and a group of amateur sleuths have argued with historians, scoured books and explorers’ journals, unearthed centuries-old patents and British court documents and asked the U.S. government’s weather experts to recreate 18th-century currents....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity