John F Kennedy memorial bears 'wrong date of presidency'tags: Birmingham, JFK, memorials
A John F Kennedy memorial in Birmingham showing the wrong date for the start of his presidency must be changed, a charity has said.
The tribute, unveiled in February in Digbeth, states he was US president in 1960, but his inauguration was in 1961.
Irish In Birmingham said the council had not responded to an application to change the date.
A Birmingham City Council spokesman said the dates included "the period when Kennedy was president-elect".
The £100,000 Italian glass mosaic, which measures 18ft by 40ft (5m by 12m), is a replica of one that was put up near St Chad's Cathedral in the city centre in 1968....
comments powered by Disqus
- Columbia University Releases Eric Foner’s Civil War MOOCs. It's Free!
- Historian Geoffrey Ward tells CBS: Fox News would have ‘loved’ to show FDR with polio ‘at his most helpless’
- Eric Hobsbawm is remembered as a polyglot of a kind that's vanished
- Once again Ken Burns turns to Geoffrey Ward to write his script, this time about the Roosevelts
- Historian warns that countries go into decline when they become rigid, oppress minorities, and become weak militarily