John F Kennedy memorial bears 'wrong date of presidency'Breaking News
tags: Birmingham, JFK, memorials
A John F Kennedy memorial in Birmingham showing the wrong date for the start of his presidency must be changed, a charity has said.
The tribute, unveiled in February in Digbeth, states he was US president in 1960, but his inauguration was in 1961.
Irish In Birmingham said the council had not responded to an application to change the date.
A Birmingham City Council spokesman said the dates included "the period when Kennedy was president-elect".
The £100,000 Italian glass mosaic, which measures 18ft by 40ft (5m by 12m), is a replica of one that was put up near St Chad's Cathedral in the city centre in 1968....
comments powered by Disqus
- UN Wants Canada To Apologize, Pay Reparations For Black Slavery
- Did their school have ties to slavery? Now students try to make sense of the answer.
- National Anthem Protests by Black Athletes Have a Long History
- The National Security Agency's own history of tracking of U.S. Citizens is flawed
- Before Trump vs. the NFL, there was Jackie Robinson vs. JFK
- Religion strong on Cundill History Prize longlist
- Historian Anne Applebaum Details Stalin's War Against Ukraine
- Conservatives are blaming Howard Zinn for “birthing” the "Anti-Columbus Crusade”
- Jelani Cobb unloads on Trump’s double standard of patriotism in the New Yorker
- Lonnie Bunch is astonished the African-American History Museum has become a pilgrimage site so fast