John F Kennedy memorial bears 'wrong date of presidency'Breaking News
tags: Birmingham, JFK, memorials
A John F Kennedy memorial in Birmingham showing the wrong date for the start of his presidency must be changed, a charity has said.
The tribute, unveiled in February in Digbeth, states he was US president in 1960, but his inauguration was in 1961.
Irish In Birmingham said the council had not responded to an application to change the date.
A Birmingham City Council spokesman said the dates included "the period when Kennedy was president-elect".
The £100,000 Italian glass mosaic, which measures 18ft by 40ft (5m by 12m), is a replica of one that was put up near St Chad's Cathedral in the city centre in 1968....
comments powered by Disqus
- Bozeman schools prefer kids in class on MLK Day
- Universities across the country are facing up to their past association with slavery
- Trump Budget Proposes Devastating Cuts to Federal History, Archival & Education Programs
- Alabama governor signs law giving thousands of felons their right to vote back
- Jerusalem Post recalls history of the Six-Day War
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?