Navy veteran remembers deadly Beirut bombing of 1983tags: Beirut bombing
SOLON, Ohio – Thirty years ago on Oct. 23, Navy Lt. Greg Rosenberg was lying on his bunk when the little corner of Beirut, Lebanon, where he was sleeping exploded with a massive roar.
A suicide bomber had just driven a truck laden with explosives into barracks housing U.S. Marines of a multinational peacekeeping force.
The four-story building collapsed, killing 220 Marines, 18 sailors and three soldiers, wounding another 128 American servicemen....
comments powered by Disqus
- Election results are in for the American Historical Association
- Nial Ferguson warns Obama’s bet on Iran has low odds of success
- Sven Beckert’s List of the Ten Books on Slavery You Need to Read
- Jonathan Zimmerman says homosexuality is not alien to Africa
- Historian Howard Segal says the cost of paying for expensive commencement speeches is diverting funds from where they’re most needed