Navy veteran remembers deadly Beirut bombing of 1983Breaking News
tags: Beirut bombing
SOLON, Ohio – Thirty years ago on Oct. 23, Navy Lt. Greg Rosenberg was lying on his bunk when the little corner of Beirut, Lebanon, where he was sleeping exploded with a massive roar.
A suicide bomber had just driven a truck laden with explosives into barracks housing U.S. Marines of a multinational peacekeeping force.
The four-story building collapsed, killing 220 Marines, 18 sailors and three soldiers, wounding another 128 American servicemen....
comments powered by Disqus
- Before Ivanka Trump, other presidential daughters also wielded influence at the White House
- South Carolina Republican: scrap slave memorial if Confederate monument goes
- A 130,000-Year-Old Mastodon Threatens to Upend Human History
- Trump just promised the biggest tax cut in history
- An African Diaspora group at Columbia University draped a KKK hood over Thomas Jefferson
- Accused plagiarist Matthew Whitaker wins arbitration case against City of Phoenix over police contract
- Niall Ferguson says the liberal international order has passed its peak
- Nathaniel Philbrick wins the $50,000 2017 George Washington Prize
- In an interview Jill Lepore explains how she writes and the writers she admires most
- Trump is no Hitler – he’s a Mussolini, says Oxford historian