Navy veteran remembers deadly Beirut bombing of 1983tags: Beirut bombing
SOLON, Ohio – Thirty years ago on Oct. 23, Navy Lt. Greg Rosenberg was lying on his bunk when the little corner of Beirut, Lebanon, where he was sleeping exploded with a massive roar.
A suicide bomber had just driven a truck laden with explosives into barracks housing U.S. Marines of a multinational peacekeeping force.
The four-story building collapsed, killing 220 Marines, 18 sailors and three soldiers, wounding another 128 American servicemen....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian author Antony Beevor says his new World War 2 book may anger Americans
- Ron Radosh and Allis Radosh plan to defend Warren Harding in a new book
- Historians tackle America’s mass incarceration problem
- Report: Russian studies in crisis
- Ken Burns: Donald Trump’s birtherism — a “politer way of saying the ‘N-word'” — proves America isn’t remotely “post-racial”