Jewels That Could Tell 400 Years of HistoryBreaking News
PARIS — If jewels could only speak, what stories they could tell!
The peacock, a turban brooch with a golden beak and waves of diamond plumes, would reveal its sensual life. It left Paris with an Indian maharajah, moved on to the prince’s Spanish lady love, returned to the harem of his wives, had a later sojourn in America — and so much more, too indiscreet to tell.
And that is the tale of just one exceptional jewel that in 1905 left the historic store of Mellerio dits Meller on the Rue de la Paix....
comments powered by Disqus
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- Korean Survivors of Atomic Bombs Renew Fight for Recognition, and Apology
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors