Jewels That Could Tell 400 Years of HistoryBreaking News
PARIS — If jewels could only speak, what stories they could tell!
The peacock, a turban brooch with a golden beak and waves of diamond plumes, would reveal its sensual life. It left Paris with an Indian maharajah, moved on to the prince’s Spanish lady love, returned to the harem of his wives, had a later sojourn in America — and so much more, too indiscreet to tell.
And that is the tale of just one exceptional jewel that in 1905 left the historic store of Mellerio dits Meller on the Rue de la Paix....
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump got history wrong in interview with NYT
- A Century-Old Abraham Lincoln Mystery May Finally Have an Answer
- Did an Israeli student steal Auschwitz artifacts for her art exhibit?
- Memorial erected at site of witch trial hangings
- Michael Beschloss says if Trump pardons himself this is worse than Watergate
- One reason H.R. McMaster and Trump don't have a close relationship
- Rick Perlstein joins criticism of Nancy MacLean's "Democracy in Chains"
- Daniel Pipes says it’s time for the Palestinians to recognize they lost
- Wm. Theodore de Bary, Renowned Columbia Sinologist, Dies at 97
- Iran sentences Princeton history grad student to 10 years for spying