World famous pitch drop experiment opens history bookstags: Science, experiments
The University of Queensland is offering people around the world the chance to add their name to the world's longest running laboratory experiment, the Pitch Drop.
The experiment was established in 1927 to demonstrate the high viscosity of pitch, which looks like a solid but behaves like a fluid over an extended timeframe.
The Pitch Drop Experiment is basically a lump of pitch in a glass funnel.
Eight drops of pitch have fallen in 86 years, but no-one has ever seen one fall.
A new website, theninthwatch.com, will log watchers from all time zones to record who is logged in when the ninth Pitch Drop falls....
comments powered by Disqus
- National Security Archive Sues State Department Over Kissinger Telephone Messages
- White House March to stop ISIS from destroying what remains of Mesopotamian Civilization
- Scholars, Writers and Thinkers Call for Academic Freedom in Thailand
- Stanford’s Ian Morris says technology is changing the human animal
- Yale historian traces the establishment of slavery plantations to a taste for sugar