Khmer Rouge tribunal to hear closing argumentsBreaking News
tags: Khmer Rouge
ANLONG VENG, Cambodia—Three years after indicting four senior Khmer Rouge leaders for allegedly directing one of the worst genocides of the 20th century, a United Nations-backed tribunal will start hearing closing arguments Wednesday in a closely watched trial.
But only two defendants remain. A third accused died this year, while another was released last year on medical grounds. After prosecutors and defense lawyers sum up their cases this month, judges could issue a verdict late next year and appeals would likely stretch into 2015.
The current trial is just one of several planned, meaning the two defendants—already in their 80s—could die before the process is completed....
comments powered by Disqus
- JFK's diary reveals fascination with Hitler, compared to 'legend'
- Secret South Korean Nuclear Weapons Program Created Anxiety in Washington in Mid-1970s
- The President Is Under FBI Investigation. Is This Normal?
- President Trump Praised Both Andrew Jackson and Henry Clay
- Nativism, Violence, and the Origins of the Paranoid Style
- Douglas Brinkley says there’s a "smell of treason in the air"
- Mary Maples Dunn, Advocate of Women’s Colleges and President of Smith, Dies at 85
- Gil Troy says Jews and Israelis are the victims of a “Hate Swarm”
- Eric Foner interviews Matt Karp about his new book on slaveholders
- Are historians ignoring the history of originalism?