Annual Grant lecture in St. Louis is canceledHistorians in the News
tags: government shutdown
The country’s 18th president is in the news again, but this time it has nothing to do with the Civil War that made him famous or the sesquicentennial observance of that war.
The fifth annual Ulysses S. Grant Lecture and John Y. Simon Day in St. Louis scheduled for Saturday at the U.S. Grant National Historic Site has been canceled due to the federal shutdown.
The lecture, titled “Educating a General: U.S. Grant’s Preparation for West Point,” was to be given by William C. Davis, Virginia Tech history professor and program director for the Virginia Center for Civil War Studies. The location was the Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site that is closed because of the budget impasse, and as the lecture was sponsored by the Grant historic site, it could not be moved to another location....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity