Famous last words (of presidents)tags: presidents, last words, quizzes, Mental Floss
The good folks at Mental Floss have compiled the last words of the 38 dead presidents.
How well do you know your dying presidents? (Answers at bottom.)
2. "Thomas Jefferson survives."
3. "Send Mike immediately."
4. "I have a terrific headache."
5. "I understand the true principles of the government. I wish them carried out. I ask nothing more."
6. "Are the doctors here? Doctor, my lungs..."
7. "She won't think anything about it."
8. "'Tis well."
9. "No, you certainly can't."
10. "The nourishment is palatable."
Of course, presidential last words tend to lack the spunk of Tom Paine's, who spent his final moments berating two clergyman trying to convert him on his deathbed: "Let me have none of your popish stuff. Get away with you. Good morning."
1: Ulysses S. Grant; 2: John Adams; 3: LBJ; 4: FDR; 5: William Henry Harrison; 6: Benjamin Harrison; 7: Abraham Lincoln; 8: George Washington; 9: JFK; 10: Millard Fillmore.
comments powered by Disqus
- Stanford historian uncovers the dark roots of humanitarianism
- Historian hailed for offering a history of the culture wars
- Scholars to set the West straight about "Apocalyptic Hopes, Millennial Dreams and Global Jihad"
- Why Eugene Genovese’s 2 sentences about Vietnam went viral in 1965
- Historians named to the 2015 class of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences