Famous last words (of presidents)Breaking News
tags: presidents, last words, quizzes, Mental Floss
The good folks at Mental Floss have compiled the last words of the 38 dead presidents.
How well do you know your dying presidents? (Answers at bottom.)
2. "Thomas Jefferson survives."
3. "Send Mike immediately."
4. "I have a terrific headache."
5. "I understand the true principles of the government. I wish them carried out. I ask nothing more."
6. "Are the doctors here? Doctor, my lungs..."
7. "She won't think anything about it."
8. "'Tis well."
9. "No, you certainly can't."
10. "The nourishment is palatable."
Of course, presidential last words tend to lack the spunk of Tom Paine's, who spent his final moments berating two clergyman trying to convert him on his deathbed: "Let me have none of your popish stuff. Get away with you. Good morning."
1: Ulysses S. Grant; 2: John Adams; 3: LBJ; 4: FDR; 5: William Henry Harrison; 6: Benjamin Harrison; 7: Abraham Lincoln; 8: George Washington; 9: JFK; 10: Millard Fillmore.
comments powered by Disqus
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich