Famous last words (of presidents)tags: presidents, last words, quizzes, Mental Floss
The good folks at Mental Floss have compiled the last words of the 38 dead presidents.
How well do you know your dying presidents? (Answers at bottom.)
2. "Thomas Jefferson survives."
3. "Send Mike immediately."
4. "I have a terrific headache."
5. "I understand the true principles of the government. I wish them carried out. I ask nothing more."
6. "Are the doctors here? Doctor, my lungs..."
7. "She won't think anything about it."
8. "'Tis well."
9. "No, you certainly can't."
10. "The nourishment is palatable."
Of course, presidential last words tend to lack the spunk of Tom Paine's, who spent his final moments berating two clergyman trying to convert him on his deathbed: "Let me have none of your popish stuff. Get away with you. Good morning."
1: Ulysses S. Grant; 2: John Adams; 3: LBJ; 4: FDR; 5: William Henry Harrison; 6: Benjamin Harrison; 7: Abraham Lincoln; 8: George Washington; 9: JFK; 10: Millard Fillmore.
comments powered by Disqus
- England's King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
- 93-year-old former Auschwitz guard charged
- Martin Amis’s ‘Zone of Interest’ Makes European Publishers Squirm
- Urban Outfitters Features "Vintage" Red-Stained Kent State Sweatshirt
- Americans know surprisingly little about their government, survey finds