Famous last words (of presidents)Breaking News
tags: presidents, last words, quizzes, Mental Floss
The good folks at Mental Floss have compiled the last words of the 38 dead presidents.
How well do you know your dying presidents? (Answers at bottom.)
2. "Thomas Jefferson survives."
3. "Send Mike immediately."
4. "I have a terrific headache."
5. "I understand the true principles of the government. I wish them carried out. I ask nothing more."
6. "Are the doctors here? Doctor, my lungs..."
7. "She won't think anything about it."
8. "'Tis well."
9. "No, you certainly can't."
10. "The nourishment is palatable."
Of course, presidential last words tend to lack the spunk of Tom Paine's, who spent his final moments berating two clergyman trying to convert him on his deathbed: "Let me have none of your popish stuff. Get away with you. Good morning."
1: Ulysses S. Grant; 2: John Adams; 3: LBJ; 4: FDR; 5: William Henry Harrison; 6: Benjamin Harrison; 7: Abraham Lincoln; 8: George Washington; 9: JFK; 10: Millard Fillmore.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age
- ‘No Vacancies’ for Blacks: How Donald Trump Got His Start, and Was First Accused of Bias
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- OAH President Nancy Cott says the Library of Congress is being politicized
- NYT publishes historians' plea for the revival of political history
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book