Queen opens Sir Walter Scott's houseBreaking News
tags: Queen Elizabeth, United Kingdom, BBC News, Walter Scott
The Queen has officially reopened the former home of author Sir Walter Scott in the Scottish Borders after its multi-million pound restoration.
Abbotsford House, near Melrose, will open to the public on Thursday.
The royal visitor was given a tour of the house, which shut for major renovations nearly two years ago.
The Abbotsford Trust hopes the historic building can become both an "important cultural centre and tourist destination" for the region....
comments powered by Disqus
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Greece vows pressure on Germany to get WWII reparations
- Islamist: Sorry I Wrecked Heritage Site
- For Donald Trump’s Family, an Immigrant’s Tale With 2 Beginnings
- Hillary Clinton Isn’t First Politician to Face Criticism Over Speaking Fees
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton