Queen opens Sir Walter Scott's housetags: Queen Elizabeth, United Kingdom, BBC News, Walter Scott
The Queen has officially reopened the former home of author Sir Walter Scott in the Scottish Borders after its multi-million pound restoration.
Abbotsford House, near Melrose, will open to the public on Thursday.
The royal visitor was given a tour of the house, which shut for major renovations nearly two years ago.
The Abbotsford Trust hopes the historic building can become both an "important cultural centre and tourist destination" for the region....
comments powered by Disqus
- World War I records reveal myths and realities of soldiers with ‘shell shock’
- Were Neanderthals a sub-species of modern humans? New research says no
- Irish archaeological sites explain huge European population fall
- Reactions to JFK Assassination Included Fear of Possible Soviet Strike against U.S.; Desire to "Bond" with LBJ
- Swiss Museum to Announce Decision on Nazi-Looted Art Next Week
- Middle East Studies Association Fights a Rising Tide of Critics
- Juan Cole says the postwar Middle East governments were modeled on the Soviet Union, though not communist (interview)
- Ted Widmer picks the 5 best presidential books worth reading
- AHA backs California's LGBT History law
- Cultural historian traces history of baby food