New Member of Supreme Court Brings More Than Just One VoteBreaking News
Supreme Court history is filled with testaments to the impact of personality and the significance of personal interaction. Prof. Sanford V. Levinson of the University of Texas School of Law has studied the career of Justice Felix Frankfurter, the indisputably brilliant Harvard Law School professor named to the court by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
"Professor Frankfurter thought it was his role to socialize newcomers," Professor Levinson said, adding that Justice Frankfurter could be so condescending and overbearing, as in one instance when he sent Justice John Marshall Harlan a disapproving note with instructions to "read and reread" a particular essay on jurisprudence, "that he pushed away his natural friends and allies."
In similar fashion today, Justice Antonin Scalia, another former law professor with a tongue as sharp as his wit, has not fulfilled predictions that his intelligence and charm would make him a leader on the court. "Everybody expected Scalia to be able to charm his colleagues, and the biggest surprise of his tenure is that he has played William O. Douglas rather than William Brennan," Professor Levinson said, referring to one of the court's most famous curmudgeons and one of its most successful salesmen.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity