Aaron Blake: Why Winning Back the House is a Tough Task for DemocratsRoundup: Media's Take
tags: Congress, WaPo, political realignment, GOP, electoral politics, Aaron Blake
Aaron Blake covers national politics at the Washington Post, where he writes regularly for “The Fix,” the Post’s top political blog. A Minnesota native and summa cum laude graduate of the University of Minnesota, Aaron has also written about politics for the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal asked his fellow Republicans to shift their focus outside of Washington, D.C. in his speech Thursday night at the Republican National Committee’s winter meeting.
Doing so might cheer them up a little....
“The Republicans will have an advantage in partisanship in districts for a long time. That, I think, is indisputable,” said Rob Richie, the executive director of the electoral reform group Fair Vote. Of the Democrats, he said, “I think that they’re probably settling in for a long stay in the minority, unless it’s a really big year.”...
Because Republicans exercise full control (both legislative chambers plus the governorship) of big swing states and blue-leaning states like Florida, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin, they were able to draw congressional maps that strongly favored their party. In the 2012 presidential election, Mitt Romney won 64 of 104 congressional districts in those six states, despite all of them going for President Obama statewide....
comments powered by Disqus
- How will Trump’s inaugural address compare with others?
- UK Government's 'Monstrous' Stonehenge Tunnel Plan Green-Lit
- Anti-Defamation League Condemns Donald Trump’s ‘Nazi Germany’ Tweet
- President Obama Designates First National Monument Dedicated to Reconstruction
- Jared Kushner Wouldn't Be the First Powerful Son-in-Law in Presidential History
- Tim Naftali calls on Obama to declassify US intelligence community's assessment of Russian intentions and activities in the 2016 presidential election
- David Olusoga says Britain’s black history has been shamefully whitewashed
- Conflicting Signals in the Academic Job Market for History
- Max Boot says a 9-11 style commission should investigate Trump-Russian ties
- Why Did Japan Treat Jews Differently During World War II?