Catherine McNicol Stock: Show Them That North Dakota is Not 'Nut Country'Roundup: Historians' Take
tags: North Dakota, Catherine McNicol Stock, Connecticut College, Grand Forks Herald
Stock, granddaughter of the late Harold Finch Sr. of the Nash-Finch Co., is the Kohn Professor of History at Connecticut College.
NEW LONDON, Conn. — As an Easterner with family ties to Grand Forks, I’m getting pretty tired of hearing about all the supposedly unthinking and uncompromising people in North Dakota.
In the week after Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, D-N.D., spoke on ABC and suggested that proposed gun reforms might be too “extreme,” liberal pundits called Red State gun owners everything from “gullible” to “crazy” to “stoolies for the National Rifle Association.”
On Jan. 11, to open his 5 p.m. show on pro-gun extremists, MSNBC’s Chris Matthews quoted JFK as he traveled toward Dallas in November 1963: “We’re headed for nut country.”
North Dakotans never have been unthinking or uncompromising, and they do not deserve to be perceived as such today. In fact, there may be no better time to show the nation that North Dakota is anything but “nut country.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't