The Ten Worst Natural DisastersBreaking News
Forget annoying earthquakes like the 1906 temblor that destroyed San Francisco, or events such as the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens in Washington state, and even the 1994 Los Angeles shaker that brought down sections of major freeways. In terms of total destruction, these natural disasters are pikers by world standards and serve only to remind us that extremes are the norm.
The National Hurricane Center pegs Hurricane Andrew, a category five storm in 1992, as the most destructive to hit the United States. It caused damage estimated at $26.5 billion.
To date, 2004 was the most destructive hurricane season with four named storms slamming ashore: Charley, causing $15 billion in damage; Ivan, $14.2 billion; Frances, $8.9 billion and Jeanne, $6.9 billion. Total: $45 billion.
Hurricane Hugo is ranked as fifth most destructive storm, causing $7 billion in damage in 1989.
Hurricane Allison caused an estimated $5 billion in damage in 2001; Floyd, $4.5 billion in 1999; Isabel, $3.4 billion in 2003; and Fran, $3.2 billion in 1996.
New Orleans last took a direct hit from a hurricane in 1965 when Betsy's 8-to-10-foot storm surge flooded the city. The storm was blamed for 74 deaths in Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity