comments powered by Disqus
Thomas Del Beccaro: Keynes Would Not Raise Taxes TodayRoundup: Media's Take
Thomas Del Beccaro is the Chairman of the California Republican Party.
Which do you think is worse for the economy: politicians or higher taxes? How about for the deficit? In the years ahead, we will hear plenty about all three. But the question remains the same: will raising tax rates now improve the outlook for either the economy or the deficit? Or will they make matters worse for both? John Maynard Keynes would have some interesting advice for America today on those questions.
Before we get to Keynes, it must plainly be said that economics gets a bum rap. It really is not that hard to understand. Two simple economic concepts are often lost in the shuffle. Here they are.
The First Concept: The more something costs, the less of it you get. Higher priced cars sell less than lower prices cars largely because of price. The same concept applies to jobs. The more jobs cost, the less of them we get as a society. Think ObamaCare and companies refusing to hire in the face of those higher costs.
Importantly, and largely not understood by most, that same concept applies to income. The higher government prices income, i.e. the higher the income/corporate tax rate, the less income you see. Historically, people have done many things to avoid taxes including move, barter, hide income, defer investment and take less risk, i.e. they decide not to try to make money. Ask Steve Wynn about that. In short, if you raise taxes enough, you indeed have the power to destroy as John Marshall said long ago.
A Second, Related Concept: If the government takes your money, you don’t have it. You may chuckle at that – but you would be surprised how many politicians don’t believe it...
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity