Dueling Biopics in Works for the Beatles’ Manager
Within the world of obsessive Beatles fans, a small but vocal group has long argued that the accomplishments of Brian Epstein, the band’s visionary manager, have been underplayed in the many tellings of the Beatles’ story. But suddenly, 45 years after Epstein’s death from what was ruled an accidental drug overdose, Epstein will have his moment to shine on the silver screen. Not one but two biopics – one to be based on a graphic novel – are in the works.
So far, the starrier of them will feature the busy Benedict Cumberbatch as Epstein. Mr. Cumberbatch — whose roles have included the physicist Stephen Hawking, as well as Sherlock Holmes in the BBC’s “Sherlock” and Peter Guillam in the recent film version of “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy” — also has roles in Peter Jackson’s coming film version of “The Hobbit” and will be the villain in the next “Star Trek” film, “Star Trek Into Darkness.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Field Report: What I learned by attending a workshop on Korean history
- Historians suggest ways California can integrate gay history into the school curriculum
- Now it’s Andrew Bacevich’s turn to do a MOOC
- Historian enlists Plato in campaign to win converts to an exciting way to teach history
- Teachers walkout in Colorado over AP history controversy and pay