Matthew Algeo: Grover Cleveland’s Hurricane (11-1-12)
Walter Russell Mead: Nature and Nature’s God (10-31-12)
Carl Zimring: How Hurricane Sandy Affected One Historian (i.e. Me) (10-31-12)
Why Hurricanes Have Names: The History Behind Hurricane Nomenclature (8-25-11) "Category Five": How a Hurricane Yardstick Came to Be (12-20-05) Normand Forgues-Roy: Was Katrina the Biggest, the Worst Natural Disaster in U.S. History? (10-23-05) Map of World Hurricanes since 1851 (8-27-12) An Earthquake in Virginia? It's Happened Before. (8-23-11) David Welky: When the Levee Doesn’t Break (5-10-11) James Boyden: Explaining the Apocalypse: The Impact of Hurricane Katrina (4-10-10)
Hannah Regan: Think the East Coast Blizzards Were Bad This Year? Try 1947 (3-21-10) James Ridgeway: Mother Jones: The Secret History of Hurricane Katrina (8-29-09) 1900 Hurricane Changed Galveston and Forecasting (9-12-08) Colin Fisher: San Diego's Natural Disaster Wasn't Entirely Natural (10-27-07) Great New England Hurricane of 1635 Even Worse Than Thought (11-21-06) Kevin R. Kosar: The Executive Branch’s Response to the Flood of 1927 (10-30-05) The Ten Worst Natural Disasters (8-29-05) Melissah J. Pawlikowski: When Hemingway Took the Government to Task for a Hurricane Disaster that Cost Hundreds of Lives (9-26-05) Katrina ... Greatest Natural Disaster in Our History? (9-17-05) Interview with Erik Larson: The Hurricane that Destroyed Galveston in 1900 (9-9-05) Interview with Pete Daniel: The Great Flood of 1927 (9-8-05) Eliot Kleinberg: The Florida Flood that Accounted for the Most Deaths of Black People in a Single Day (Until Katrina) (9-6-05) John M. Barry: The 1927 Flood -- The Worst in History (Until Now) (9-5-05) Willie Drye: How FDR Handled the Fallout from the Great Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 (9-2-05) Dan Murphy: How History Was Affected by Krakatoa: The Effect of Natural Disasters (12-30-04)
comments powered by Disqus
HNN Hot Topics: Natural Disasters
Hurricane Sandy from space as it approaches the Atlantic coast of the United States, October 28, 2012. Credit: NASA.
Q & A
Historic Natural Disasters
comments powered by Disqus
- Junípero Serra’s Missions Destroyed Entire Native Cultures. And Now He’s Going to Be a Saint.
- Isis destruction of Palmyra's Temple of Bel revealed in satellite images
- McKinley's lost his mountain. Should we still remember his presidency?
- How the Black Panthers Fought to Make Black Lives Matter in the ’60s and ’70s
- Sanders, Trump et al: Partying Like It’s 1968
- Japanese historian upends the familiar narrative of WW 2 by taking a bottom up approach, focusing on fascism from the grassroots
- Holocaust-denying historian David Irving organises 'disgusting' £2,000-a-head holiday tours of former concentration camps and Hitler's HQ so people can 'make up their own mind about the truth'
- 72 history professors sign letter urging removal of Jefferson Davis statue from Kentucky Capitol
- 10 Years After Katrina, the Enduring Value of the Hurricane Digital Memory Bank
- Historian author Antony Beevor says his new World War 2 book may anger Americans