L'Osservatore editorial: Coptic papyrus is probably fakeBreaking News
The Vatican newspaper L’Osservatore Romano has argued in an editorial that a Coptic papyrus fragment, which appears to refer to a wife of Jesus, is “a fake.”
The editorial notes that many scholars have questioned the authenticity of the purportedly ancient document, which was introduced by Harvard’s Karen King earlier this month and has received enormous worldwide publicity. Gian Maria Van, the editor of L’Osservatore Romano, said that the scholarly evidence pointed toward an “inept forgery.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Call to help Moroccan historian Maâti Monjib, who has been on hunger strike since 6 October 2015
- Charles Gillispie, trailblazer in the history of science, dies at 97
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State