Film Festival With Truths to TellRoundup: Pop Culture & the Arts ... Movies, Documentaries and Museum Exhibits
TELLURIDE, Colo. — A film festival held almost 9,000 feet above sea level on a holiday weekend may not be the likeliest setting for philosophical speculation, but for the past four days the Telluride Film Festival has offered something like a seminar on the nature of truth. In an age of reality television, journalistic fakery and political mendacity everyone knows that words and images can distort and mislead. And film is a particularly unstable medium, alluring us with a promise of honesty while it feeds us ever more elaborate fantasies....
Or else we might start with movies that are obviously about real people and events and just as obviously works of entertaining make-believe. In Roger Michell’s “Hyde Park on Hudson,” for example, the role of Franklin D. Roosevelt is played by Bill Murray, who noted at a post-screening Q. and A. session Saturday that he had previously been asked only to portray presidents in comedy sketches, and that Roosevelt was a very big historical deal. “He’s on the dime,” Mr. Murray reminded the audience. “You know what a dime is, right?” he asked Mr. Michell, who is British but who nonetheless seemed to have some notion....
comments powered by Disqus
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Trump Recording Narrows Divide on Sexual Assault
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller