Film Festival With Truths to TellRoundup: Pop Culture & the Arts ... Movies, Documentaries and Museum Exhibits
TELLURIDE, Colo. — A film festival held almost 9,000 feet above sea level on a holiday weekend may not be the likeliest setting for philosophical speculation, but for the past four days the Telluride Film Festival has offered something like a seminar on the nature of truth. In an age of reality television, journalistic fakery and political mendacity everyone knows that words and images can distort and mislead. And film is a particularly unstable medium, alluring us with a promise of honesty while it feeds us ever more elaborate fantasies....
Or else we might start with movies that are obviously about real people and events and just as obviously works of entertaining make-believe. In Roger Michell’s “Hyde Park on Hudson,” for example, the role of Franklin D. Roosevelt is played by Bill Murray, who noted at a post-screening Q. and A. session Saturday that he had previously been asked only to portray presidents in comedy sketches, and that Roosevelt was a very big historical deal. “He’s on the dime,” Mr. Murray reminded the audience. “You know what a dime is, right?” he asked Mr. Michell, who is British but who nonetheless seemed to have some notion....
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea